Monday, August 18, 2008

Farmers' close calls: A split second gone bad

SMV signs mean slow down

A farmer started a discussion thread in Machinery Talk last week that needs some attention--some bold attention, like flashing lights and an ambulance siren.

I found it downright scary to read some of the "war stories" these guys tell, but do go ahead and read them for yourself: Machinery Talk.

Maybe these messages will save your life, or at least a few fingers. There are stories of near-death experiences, broken bones, smashed fingers, crushed feet, etc. And remember, these are from the guys who have lived to tell their stories--and who can still type.

Here's one example:

"The first year I was making large square bales of corn fodder the pickup plugged and I got off the tractor with the PTO running and pushed the stalks with my foot. In a split second my foot was grabbed by the stalks and I was pulled towards the stuffer fingers. I remember thinking so this is how I am going to die...."

Note the phrase, "in a split second." That's how it always seems to be in these stories, things go bad in an instant.

Here's another one to show you how it goes:

"I left [the big round baler] running when I got out of the tractor to check the strings on the previously made bale. As I was walking back, I noticed that there was a small wad of hay clinging to the frame, and I sort of unconsciously/reflexively swatted at it with my hand, to knock it off. Next thing I knew, my hand was sucked into the belt...."

Again, all in the blink of an eye.

Here's some of what's dangerous on the farm, according to gleanings from the Machinery Talk discussion:
* Getting high off the ground.
* Putting your hands around unprotected moving parts.
* Any piece of equipment that isn't working right.
* Servicing/fixing grain storage facilities--beware dryers and silos.
* Livestock behaving badly.
* Trying to do stuff with brute force.

It seems that one thing we need to learn to do before performing just about any chore on the farm is to pause, take a deep breath, and just spend a moment considering what we're about to do.

Harvest season is one of the most dangerous times of the year, safety experts say. Vow not to let that "split second" get you.

No comments: