Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Farm until I'm 80


A farmer friend of mine, who just turned 65, told me recently that he was going to farm until he was 80. In fact, he had just decided to buy a new planter, a used 8-row machine, and was in the market for a combine, an item he hadn't owned for a while.

I was getting a tour of his farm shop where he was overhauling the planter--replacing fertilizer coulters, roller chains, disk openers, and seed tube protectors, while adding new spiked closing wheels. Whew, it looked like a job for a man half his age. Next to the planter was a chore tractor that he was getting ready to drop a new engine into.

The man is in good health, it would seem, and he's still supporting at least one of his daughters. Still, the news surprised me. He has a couple part-time jobs, knows how to entertain himself off the farm, and otherwise seems pretty well set to cruise comfortably into his twilight years, at least as much as anyone can these days.

It strikes me that there are three intriguing demographic trends in agriculture right now: the full-blown emergence of young and beginning farmers, the rise in the number of female farmers since the last ag census, and now this growing set of retirement age farmers--who appear ready to bop until they drop.

A recent discussion on senior farmers in Agriculture Online's Farm Business Talk, garnered a huge response--some 140 postings.

The idea of farming forever is not without controversy. The topic elicted an outpouring of emotion, including a fair amount of grumpy argument. How do I get to farm if dad (or mom) keeps going? How do we change with the times if the old folks stay on the place? Is it safe for old-timers to be running that equipment? Is it fair to the spouse to stay trapped on the farm for another decade?

One of the enablers of old-age farming, of course, is modern technology.

One respondent makes the point that the "continued advance of technology in farm equipment has been a principal driver in allowing farmers to continue their chosen profession well into their advanced age." He believes machinery manufacturers and others serving ag will have to look at elderly farmers as a new trend.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got a couple of years on the man in the article. In my case I have no one waiting for me to quit farming. In fact, I am having too much fun to quit. For the first time in my life I am financialy secure. Most of my land and machinery are paid for. In fact, for the first time I walked into the show room and wrote out a check for a new pickup. That was fun!! My health is good. Anyone could die tomorrow so why worry about dieing just because you are getting older. I have given up most of my livestock operation. I am using autosteer on my tractors (got to be the greatest innovation in my farming career). I don't have to sell at the top dollar just to survive, and because of that I think I actually do a better job of marketing.

Anonymous said...

I am at a similiar place in my life. We are the current stewards on our family farm. We plan to sell to the next (9th) generation on April 2, 2009, to allow them to make their mark and be able to raise their families in the house were they grew up. A farm, one farm west of the home farm was available to purchase, so my wife and I will relocate after purchasing this farm on April 2 as well. We will continue to work closely together in all aspects of the combined operations, though each will have their own operations and areas of responsiblity and expertese. The childrren will have the major responsibility on the livestock side. Clearly technology, GPS etc have lengthened my ability to be actively involved and contribute that was not possible to previous generations. Don't know if I will farm until I am 80, but starting over at 60 is a new, but fun and anticipated challenge.

Anonymous said...

I am at a similiar place in my life. We are the current stewards on our family farm. We plan to sell to the next (9th) generation on April 2, 2009, to allow them to make their mark and be able to raise their families in the house were they grew up. A farm, one farm west of the home farm was available to purchase, so my wife and I will relocate after purchasing this farm on April 2 as well. We will continue to work closely together in all aspects of the combined operations, though each will have their own operations and areas of responsiblity and expertese. The childrren will have the major responsibility on the livestock side. Clearly technology, GPS etc have lengthened my ability to be actively involved and contribute that was not possible to previous generations. Don't know if I will farm until I am 80, but starting over at 60 is a new, but fun and anticipated challenge.

Anonymous said...

That's great! My dad farmed up until the day he died. He was 89 years old when he passed away. I attribute farming and working to his longevity.

Anonymous said...

I'm planning to start farming at age 55 after 33 years working for Pioneer Seed. I always wanted to farm and I plan to farm for the next 30 years or until I go broke on the farm; but I'll have some pension money (I hope) to subsidize the farming. I don't want to be a big farmer; just want to do a good job and gt out from behind the corporate desk.