Saturday, September 8, 2007

Riffing on Farm Aid


Willie and the boys will be holding the 22nd Farm Aid concert tomorrow in New York City. New York City? Farm Aid was first held in Champaign, Illinois, in 1985, back during the farm crisis years. There seemed then to have been a clear mission for the concert--helping farmers who were losing their land. Now the talk is a lot about the "Good Food Movement" and such.

There won't be any "factory-farmed junk food" sold at the Randalls Island concert tomorrow, according to a story in the New York Times on Friday.

What a slate of performers for this concert. Besides Willie Nelson, there's Neil Young, Merle Haggard, Gregg Allman, John Mellencamp, Dave Matthews and Derek Trucks, for example. You certainly can't fault Farm Aid for its music. You have to admire that the founders of the show have stuck by their guitars on this mission for the past 22 years.

But, is there something a bit elitist now about Farm Aid? The theme of local food production is fine. But food in the wider world in which most of us live requires mechanization, transportation, and new technology. Forty acres and a mule might be a cool name for a band, but it's a myth for feeding the masses, isn't it?

"For the first time, concert concessions will feature all fresh, local, organic and family farmed food," a Farm Aid press release says. No hot dogs at this show.

Farm Aid claims to have raised $30 million for farmers, or at least for "programs that help farmers thrive, expand the reach of the Good Food Movement, take action to change the current system of industrial agriculture and promote food from family farms."

I do wish I could go hear the music. And it would be interesting to see how many farmers are there rockin' the day away.

By the way, a video replay of the concert will be available on the Web on Thursday through September 19 at farmaid.org.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about helping farmers but they donated thousands to the Dakota Resource Council which helped them staff a second office in the name of education. The office then advertised for donations of various pieces of furniture!

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid Willie's recreational farming and smoking past time has influenced the real direction of Farm Aid.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe in Farm Aid after finding out a few years ago that some of their money was going to groups like the Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement(ICCI) for short and PETA. These are the types of groups that are bad for modern day agriculture and base knowledge on believes over science. While Farm Aid sounds good in name it is really just prolonging the demise of those farms who are not willing to grow or find a niche to stay in business.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the DVD e CD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dvd-e-cd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://exyribasy.lookseekpages.com/nahipy.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , probably curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://ajinilam.arcadepages.com/kivexa.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone!
I would like to burn a theme at this forum. There is such a thing, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of financial piramyde, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For quite a long time, I make money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
Right now, I'm very close at catching at last a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my web site to get additional info.

[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may commense to get income with a money that usually is spent
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'll be glad to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per day now.

[url=http://theinvestblog.com] Online investment blog[/url]